Monday, January 26, 2009

My First Day of Clinicals

Today was my first day of real clinicals for NP school. I had the wonderful fortune of being placed in a women's health clinic where there are lots. and lots. of vaginas. This isn't a bad thing, because women's health is extremely important. People (eg: my husband) don't realize the delicate balance the female body needs in order to maintain its health.

First, Trevor scraped all of the ice and snow off of my car, but I couldn't get the door open. I finally got the rear passenger door open and climbed over the back seat in my nice new professional clothes. The whole time Jersey was trying to climb in the car with me, snowy, wet feet and all!

When I got to the clinic, I observed the very first exam. Then, my preceptor applied the nursing axiom, "See one, do one, teach one," and it was my turn. I did the majority of the exams from that point on. I still have a lot to learn though! Interestingly, I learned that every woman's cervix is not right there when you open a speculum. This experience is a big change from taking care of post-op heart patients. It was nice to have the patients walk in to the clinic- and most of them were generally healthy! No one needed help going to the bathroom, getting up, or feeding themselves. They were women who take care of themselves (for the most part). It's definitely a change of pace for me.
I survived the day (and actually enjoyed most of it)... only about 75 more hours left!

4 comments:

Lindy said...

Allison that sounds like lots of fun. Ever since having a baby, I have actually been very interested in womens health. I'm glad that you enjoyed your day of looking at vagina's and cervix's and all that fun woman stuff.

Jill, Wes, and Andy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed life down under. Hope to be back soon sharing the experiences with you. Guess we have a lot to learn still.

Jamie said...

That is great! The finish line is getting closer! You will be a great NP.

Slaters said...

That is the exact reason I refuse to go to NP school. Speculum is a swear word in my book. I don't want anything to do with anything below the waist on any stranger.